We know how busy you can be in your day-to-day lives. With work, family life, meal preparation, and so much more taking up most of your time, it’s no wonder that dental health can sometimes be overlooked. No need to worry! Your trusted dentist in Los Alamitos explains some simple steps you can take to improve your oral hygiene in the workplace.
Dental Health in the Workplace: What to Do
Maintaining good oral health is more important than you think. Untreated dental problems can lead to more serious issues with your overall well-being. You can find time in your busy schedule to practice good dental hygiene in the workplace using the following tips:
- Keep dental supplies close by: Whether you keep supplies in your bag, desk, or car, having an oral healthcare on-the-go kit close by during your work day is an easy way to clean your mouth in between your morning and night routines. Make sure you have a toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, and mouth wash nearby.
- Bring healthy snacks: Snacks like cheese, meat, nuts, and milk provide calcium to protect your tooth enamel and even remineralize your teeth. If you are lactose intolerant, you can enjoy green vegetables like spinach or broccoli to get the calcium you need.
- Drink water: Drinking water washes away food debris and keeps your saliva levels high. It’s a healthy drink you can consume all day at work.
Dental Health in the Workplace: What Not to Do
Now that you know what you can do to improve your oral health at work, let’s make sure you’re not doing anything that will set you back:
- Don’t drink sugary or dark beverages: Soda and energy drinks have a very high sugar content which can cause tooth decay. In addition, dark beverages like coffee and tea can stain your teeth. If you like to consume these drinks, make sure you’re brushing your teeth afterwards with your nearby dental supplies!
- Don’t eat candy and sugar: We know your office may have vending machines but stay away! Candy and other sugary foods stick to your teeth and gums which causes plaque to form. If you simply must eat that favorite candy or sugary snack, be sure to brush and floss afterwards.
- Don’t smoke on break: Smoking causes tooth discoloration, weakens blood flow to the mouth, and triggers more bacteria to live in and around your gums and teeth.
No matter what kind of work you do, your side job needs to be maintaining good oral hygiene. Follow our simple do’s and don’ts of oral health in the workplace to look and feel great.
Meet the Dentist
Dr. William Poe is dedicated to providing the best dental care possible. He has previously been voted Best Dentist in Los Alamitos and uses continuing education courses to stay up-to-date with the latest dental technologies. He currently runs his own practice and can be contacted by phone with any questions at (562) 594-5067.